Make a regular donation or a one off gift and your support will help us kill cancer sooner.
You are here
Donating your shares to support our work is a simple way to help us beat cancer sooner. Just call 020 3469 3737 to find out more.
Why donate shares to charity?
Donating shares to us is one of the most tax-effective ways you can give money.
- You won't have to pay any capital gains tax on the shares you donate and you can claim income tax relief too.
- If you are a higher rate (40%) taxpayer you will be able to claim income tax relief equal to 40% of the value of the gift.
- If you are a highest rate (50%) taxpayer you will be able to claim income tax relief equal to 50% of the value of the gift.
In order to qualify for the tax relief, the shares or securities must be:
- listed or dealt on a recognised UK or foreign stock exchange
- units in authorised unit trusts
- shares in a UK open-ended investment company
- holdings in certain foreign collective investment schemes.
How to donate shares worth more than £200
If you would like to donate shares call us on 020 3469 5306 and we will send you a letter acknowledging your intended gift. The sale of the shares can then be done over the phone with our stockbroker.
How to donate shares worth less than £200
If you would like to make a donation under £200, you can donate shares to ShareGift and mention Cancer Research UK. ShareGift is a charity specialising in accepting smaller number of shares and can be contacted on 020 7930 3737 or through the ShareGift website.
If you would like any further information on giving through shares, you can contant Ian Wilson on 020 3469 5306 or email@example.com.
If you are unsure of your tax situation and would like more information on this, please contact the HM Revenue & Customs helpline on 0845 900 0444 or visit the HMRC website.